Monday, December 8, 2014

Advent Music Day 9 - 1970


One look at the top songs of 1970 and I knew I was in trouble.  There are so many great choices, bands, songs and singers.   I'm faced with a real Sophie's choice of sorts.  Two great songs, two vocal duos that are instantly identifiable with listeners.  I want to go with the group I haven't yet selected... but I just can't.  No other choice this year than the number one song


1970        Bridge Over Troubled Water  (Simon and Garfunkel)


This record got So. Much. Love. as I was growing up.  And like many great songs, as soon as the introduction would start in piano, I would stop what I was doing and just listen.  I still do.  Art Garfunkel's voice is gentle and easy, and believe me, that's a huge compliment, especially considering the range of this song.  Hit the third verse for some harmony, throw in some strings and drums, and you've got perfection.  Sadly, Simon and Garfunkel would part ways in 1970, but this song and their sound will always be a major force in the soundtrack of my childhood.





No comments: