Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Advent Music Day 3 - 1964


Looking over the list of the top 100 songs of 1964, it's Beatlemania.  In 1964 their songs held spots at number 1, 2, 13, 14, 16, 52 and 55 for the year, which is impressive, to say the least.  Maybe it's surprising, then that I didn't choose a single one for day three of my #Adventmusic meme.  It's not that I don't like them.  I've always thought they were perfectly fine, and yet somehow, I don't feel like their songs hold any sort of special place in my life.  Instead I chose this gem:

1964        Do Wah Diddy Diddy (Manfred Mann)

Bet you didn't see that coming.  But give me one play through of this fun, silly little pop song, and I'm transported another 17 years down the road to 1981 and the opening of the movie Stripes starring Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, John Candy, Warren Oates (how sad that Sgt. Hulka died the following year!), John Larroquette, and Judge Reinhold, to name a few.  Stripes brought so many quotable lines for those of us that like to annoy others with this sort of nonsense.  From "that's the fact, Jack!" to "C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia.  We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. It's like going to into Wisconsin"  to "Son of bitch....shit!" it was an instant hit in that hysterically unapologetically sophomoric humor kind of way.  Thanks, Manfredd Mann and Do Wah Diddy Diddy for being a part of that ride. You've definitely earned a spot in the soundtrack of my life.



No comments: