Sunday, December 7, 2014

Advent Music Day 8 - 1969


And now it's 1969.  Motown is really taking the world by storm, and while Stevie Wonder becomes a regular on the charts, throwbacks to an older era (Sammy Davis Jr., anyone?) still pop up on the year-end list, as do a stray country-western artist or two.  Like most years I've considered so far, I begin by scrolling through the list thinking "this one.. or this one... or maybe this one" but when I hit my winner I know instantly that all my other choices were a tie for second place.  So for the winner of 1969 I bring you the cool, the awesome:


1969        Hawaii Five-O  (The Ventures)


An iconic selection, to be sure.  Anybody who knows this song, knows it after 5 seconds of the opening percussion riff.  And then the trumpets come in, and we're off to the races.  Listening to the theme from Hawaii Five-O, I'm instantly transported back to my childhood, because watching Hawaii Five-O was a bit of a treat back then, and Jack Lord?  Well, he was hot stuff to a seven year old.  Everybody know "Book 'em, Dano" and everybody knew the theme song from Hawaii Five-O.  It's a shame the TV show theme songs have lost their importance in the name of squeezing in more commercials at the top of the show, but I'll bet that most people are still familiar with this opening riff and the sweet brass and electronic guitar melody.

So much to love here, especially as you wonder who starts any song with four measures of drum set, cymbals, and orchestral kettle drums?    The answer is COOL PEOPLE, THAT'S WHO.

No comments: