Thursday, December 4, 2014

Advent Music Day 5 - 1966


This is the year where I have to choose between my childhood soundtrack and my teenage soundtrack, and it's honestly a tough choice.  But in the end, even though I'm only four years old in 1966, I'm going to take the last train from Clarksville and betray my beloved Monkees.  And who was able to defeat this hysterically odd quartet (made forever perfect by Davy Jones)?

1966        The Sound of Silence  (Simon and Garfunkel)

What is there to say?  Simon and Garfunkel were this perfect duo.  Short and tall.  Tenor and ridiculously high tenor.  Poet and thinker.  Activists.  Paul Simon went to Africa and brought their music and culture to America.  Art Garfunkel was on the PBS children's cartoon Arthur and was a singing moose.  Song after song after song, the music of Simon and Garfunkel became the soundtrack of America in the 60s and 70s.  Listening to the hard realities of the lyrics that are soothed by calming melodies and perfectly blended harmonies, their songs today remain both timeless and timely.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
and no one dared 
disturb the sound of silence.




No comments: